Yesterday, while on my exercise walk along the swale next to the Cornell Plantations parking lot, I flushed a small flock of CHIPPING SPARROWS. This surprised me for two reasons. One, I haven't had this species at my feeders nor seen it elsewhere for the last few weeks. The biggest surprise, however, was when one of the startled birds landed in a small tree right next to me and sang briefly. After a short phrase, it fell silent. Why would my flushing the bird elicit this sort of response?

A few days ago I experienced presumably another example of this phenomenon. When a CAROLINA WREN began singing one of its songs in our yard, another distant CAROLINA WREN responded with the identical song right on the heels of the first bird's song. They kept up this exchange for 30 seconds or so, and with only a brief pause in responding by either of them. I realize that these wrens will sing throughout the year, but why the rapid singing back and forth in response to one another at this time of year? Do they compete for territory/mates throughout the year, or was this just an unusual example of autumnal recrudescence?

Larry

--

W. Larry Hymes