I spent some time early this afternoon wandering about 2 local mown hay
fields.  The grass is quite short (ave. 4-6 inches) in both.  In the first,
I flushed a bird that, as Sibley says, was only a glimpse of a small brown
bird flying away.  It was up for less than 2 seconds, travelled about 30’,
and showed no pattern to my naked eye.  The flight path, however, was
distinctive.  It reminded me much of the flight of a flushed snipe (i.e.
zigzaggy).  I searched the area for ½ hour, but could not refind it.

In the second field, I flushed a dense flock of  E. MEADOWLARKS.  They
resettled quickly, and I was sure I could refind them, which I did, and
counted 35 birds.

Steve Fast

Brooktondale