Gary. I disagree with your analysis of this situation. JFK airport has been
there for a long time with many winters of Snowy Owl irruptions. It was
mentioned that in earlier years there was an actual expert there who did trap
and relocate. So what happened?

There should have been a non-lethal management plan that could have been
instituted immediately upon arrival of the owls that would have insured the
safety of both planes and birds.  How could wildlife experts have been caught
so unprepared for an event that should have been easily anticipated based on
historical occurrences that all they could even imagine doing was exterminating
these northern refugees?

I am glad they were buried in an avalanche of public outrage.

 I only wish people could be roused as easily on other issues such as the
Department of the Interior and the Obama administration's ill-considered
variance to allow Bald and Golden eagle kills at wind farms.

Linda Orkin.

Sent from my iPhone