As Ann Mitchell is almost always up for chasing owls, one of the things
we had a chance to speculate about, on Friday, was female / male Short-eared
Owls. On Friday as we were watching them flying the light and range was good
enough to see that they almost all looked to be males. One owl in particular
had a darker brown and buffy, streaked, breast with a slightly darker overall
brown body. The under wing was typical, light wing lining with dark primary
tips, inner buffy band, another dark band, then light primary bases setting off
the carpel mark. This one we thought a female, definitely not a Long-eared. I
couldn't really compare size very well, but this one was easy to pick out over
and over. If anyone has other characteristics, easy to see in the field, for
separating males and females I'd like to hear back.
        The other thing that always catches my eye is the dark carpel mark,
(comma), that always makes me think of Red-tailed Hawk especially as the
underwing is so light. I wonder if some Short-ears are missed, on a quick
glance drive-by, by the thought of "look another Red-tail", especially if the
head isn't prominent due to the angle. I've probably done that; a dangerous
habit. haha

Gary