I think the following is apropos:  From a column by Rick Marsi in the Ithaca
Journal---
"One stares at manure with mixed feelings.
On the positive side, a swath of freshly spread manure can turn a farmer's
field into a songbird harvest table.
As for negatives, manure is manure, and driving through the countryside seeking
it out for the sole purpose of staring at buntings walking through it makes a
birder wonder, at times, if other avocations require such forays toward the
peculiar.
'I watched cow pies all February', is not the response folks expect when they
ask how you've passed the winter.  Being a birder demands you give that
response sometimes.  You must stay strong in your convictions.
But who cares what people think.
Have you followed a manure spreader yet this winter?  Don't keep putting it
off."

The above, from Rick, touches at the heart (or is it the butt?) of Bob's
proposed fieldtrip.  I can personally attest to Bob's strong convictions.  He
is also peculiar.

Note:  some years ago, I spent 2 years on a research project using cow manure
to generate methane.  It was a hands-on job, if you get my drift.  But I found
cowpoop to be wonderful stuff, with it's own distinct "bouquet".  It can get
under your skin.

S. Fast
Farmcountry.

On Friday, February 7, 2014 3:45 PM, bob mcguire <bmcgu...@clarityconnect.com>