There's been a bit of discussion about the Finger Lakes freezing over, as well
as the Great Lakes, on the Cayuga Birds list in recent weeks.  I came across
this article from one of the channel 9 (Syracuse) weathermen, which indicates
that the Great Lakes, as of last Friday, had more than 79% of their surface
area frozen.
> Great Lakes Freezing Over: Dave Eichorn's Blog
> http://bit.ly/1gcubdX

Where do all the birds go?  Lake Ontario is only about half frozen, so maybe
they go there.

You'll notice in the photo that Cayuga and Seneca are not frozen.  Not sure why
they don't freeze over, too.  And, no, they are not deeper than the Great
Lakes, except for Erie.  (This is kind of bugging me, so let me know if you
have a good answer!)
-Liisa

Liisa Mobley
Sent from my iPhone