Hi everyone
Thank you for all of the stimulating
and informative answers!
Ice is interesting.  My favorite ice image this year was the snowy owl at
Stewart Park gently bobbing up and down on a small chunk of ice at dusk.
-Liisa

Liisa Mobley

On Feb 9, 2014 6:30 PM, Tom <atvaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
Linda,

Didn't the Lake actually freeze from shore to shore @ Aurora in '78-'79 when
Sissy Farenthold declared it so & cancelled Wells classes?

And Ms Mobley,
A short answer to why Seneca & Cayuga don't freeze easily is that they are
examples of the "surface area to volume" problem.  Although their absolute
depth isn't as great as the Great Lakes, their shape means their surface area
is small compared to their depth and volume.  Since heat is lost thru the
surface, they don't cool as fast as lakes w/ larger relative surfaces areas.
In addition, they both lie in a general NW-SE orientation, with a long "fetch"
to the prevailing NW winds, which keep the water stirred up.  When they do
freeze, it's most likely after a series of very clear, very calm nights, when
cold water (>4 C) can accumulate and freeze on the surface.  Once there's
enough ice to resist break-up when winds resume, the lake will remain frozen
with ice and 0 C water at the top and 4 C water all the way to the bottom.

Physical limnology is very "cool"!

Tom Vawter

Sent from my iPhone