Chris,
I came across a product in LL Bean and Amazon called  "stabilicers" which are
inexpensive and work so much better than yak-trax. They come in two variants
and the
"light" is plenty for icy sidewalks, roads and groomed trail. In the mountains
I'd
recommend the more expensive version, short of crampons for real ice. These are
much
like the more expensive micro-spikes which are also great on trail. The
Stabilicer
lights are easy on/off and we have used them often this winter. By using these
you
can largely eliminate the trekking poles and have hands for stability, camera,
binos
and the like.
John
--