Based on reports from local observers, I have recovered the carcasses of 10
dead crows this week: five from Ithaca College grounds and five from the Wood
St - Titus Towers park area. This is a disturbing number of dead crows.

We lost a lot of crows in the past two summers to West Nile virus (maybe 1/3 of
our tagged birds), and we have had a small, but significant number of deaths in
winter roosts from a reovirus over the last few years. Still, 10 dead in one
week is a big number. I cannot help but worry about a poisoning event.

We are working with the Veterinary Pathology department at the Cornell Vet
School to necropsy these birds and have them tested for disease.  We would
appreciate hearing about any and all dead crows in the local area.

Contact me at k...@cornell.edu<mailto:k...@cornell.edu>; 607-254-2452, or Dr.
Anne Clark (acl...@binghamton.edu<mailto:acl...@binghamton.edu>); 607-222-0905.

Thanks.

Kevin

Kevin J. McGowan, Ph.D.
Instructor
Home Study Course in Bird Biology
Investigating Behavior: Courtship and Rivalry in Birds
Cornell Lab of Ornithology
159 Sapsucker Woods Road
Ithaca, NY 14850
k...@cornell.edu
607-254-2452

Do you know about our other distance-learning opportunities? Visit
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/courses and learn about our comprehensive Home
Study Course in Bird Biology, our online course Investigating Behavior:
Courtship and Rivalry in
Birds<http://www.birds.cornell.edu/courses/courtship/>, our Be A Better Birder
tutorials<http://www.birds.cornell.edu/courses/home/tutorial/>, and our series
of webinars<http://www.birds.cornell.edu/courses/home/webinars/>. Purchase the