Subject:        CRESLI 2014 Great South Channel whale and pelagic bird trips -
Date:   Fri, 7 Mar 2014 18:30:27 -0500
From:   Arthur H. Kopelman, Ph.D. <presid...@cresli.org>
To:     Arthur H. Kopelman, Ph.D. <presid...@cresli.org>

*2014 Great South Channel trip -- August 10-12, 2014.  Same price as
last year. Reservations are required and can be made as of at
http://www.cresli.org/cresli/reservations/offshore_res.html. *

The Coastal Research and Education Society of Long Island is a
non-profit research and education organization.  Our mission is:  "To
promote and foster understanding and stewardship of coastal ecosystems
through research and education ."  Part of our work is to observe and
document the whale and sea bird populations of NY and New England and to
take people to see these animals in the wild. Since 2002 we have been
offering  incredible and successful multi-day offshore pelagic bird and
whale observation trips.

Our trips have been 100% successful and we have encountered thousands of
pelagic birds over the years . We've also encountered fin, minke, sei,
and right whales; common, white-sided, dolphins, pilot whales

We are planning  one trip to the Great South Chanel in August 10-12,
2014 (51 hours).   The vessel is the 140' Viking Starship that can sleep
up to 65 passengers in navy style bunks. Excellent food will be
available at reasonable prices. Passengers may bring their own food as
well. The trips will be led by a seasoned marine mammal biologist and
professor. Volunteers from CRESLI will assist in photo-identification
spotting and data collection.

(1)Our August trip will leave at 6:30 PM on August 10, 2014 and head to
Martha's Vineyard (MV) to pick up (and drop off) passengers.  We expect
to arrive at Oak Bluffs in Martha's Vineyard at approximately 12:30 AM
on 8/11; we leave MV at 1:00 AM and proceed to the GSC.  We should reach
the whale grounds around day break, spend the next 24 hours amongst the
whales and birds of the GSC.  The following morning, we will have the
option of either remaining on the whale grounds, o, if the weather is
poor, returning early to Martha's Vineyard for land-based birding,
hiking, or other activities.  The vessel will ultimately depart Martha's
Vineyard at 4:30 PM on 8/12 and return to Montauk at 10:30 PM on
8/12/14.*//*

1.*/Cost = $275 for CRESLI members; $300 for non-members/*

2.*/Children 6 -- 12 are half price/*

3.*/Under 6 are free/*

We at CRESLI hope that you will join us on our trips.  Remember that
members do get discounted fares. Go to
http://www.cresli.org/cresli/GSC_offshore.html for info and reservation
links. Reservations can be made  at
http://www.cresli.org/cresli/reservations/offshore_res.html

Expectations:

·Cetaceans: Humpback, Fin, Minke, Right; Sei, and Pilot whales; Common,
Bottlenose, Atlantic White Sided and Risso's Dolphins; Leatherback,
Green and Loggerhead Turtles; Basking, Great White, Hammerhead, and Blue
Sharks; Bluefin, Yellowfin, and Bigeye Tuna; White Marlin; Ocean
Sunfish; Portuguese Man-of-War; and other marine life.

Birds: Cory's, Greater, Sooty, Manx, and Audubon's Shearwaters; Wilson's
and Leach's Storm-Petrels; Northern Fulmar; Northern Gannet; Red-necked
and Red Phalaropes; Pomarine, and Parasitic Jaegers; South Polar Skua;
Greater Black-backed, Herring, Bonaparte's Gulls.

*Arthur H. Kopelman, Ph. D.
President,*

*Coastal Research and Education Society of Long Island
**presid...@cresli.org* <mailto:presid...@cresli.org>*
**www.cresli.org
* <http://www.cresli.org/>*631-244-3352*

*( e-mails scanned for viruses before sending)***

*//*

*//*

*//*

*//*

*/"When the last individual of a race of living thing breathes no more,/*

*/another heaven and another earth/*

*/must pass before such a one can be again" ...... William Beebee/*

**

*P****Be kind to the environment - unless you need to, please don't
print this e-mail***