Roughly coincident with George and Meena’s observations and possibly one of the
same huge flocks, I saw hundreds and hundreds of Snow Geese in a vast boiling
flock probably 3 mi distant to the east from CLO (I was on Sherwood Platform at
about 1215). Too distant to hear of course. If they had not had directed flight
to the north, the clumps and trailers reminded me of a Starling murmuration and
at that distance were more like smoke wisps. Flying very high, it seemed.

There is a male Pileated Woodpecker working very hard on a hole about 30’ above
Wilson Trail near the shelter (south of pond); large light gray tree, I think
beech. He and mate were there also on Tue. The hole seems elongated for a nest
hole but he is doing mostly woodwork and I don’t see any foraging, so maybe
it’s a future nest. The mate called from a short distance and he responded
while I walked by but he was unperturbed by me walking below (and moving on).

Anyone know why there is a black-colored hunter stand/ladder attached to a pine
in the clump west of the pond? I don’t remember seeing it before.

Chris Pelkie
Research Analyst
Bioacoustics Research Program
Cornell Lab of Ornithology