Hi All,

To add my two bits to the conversation, I have seen a third Osprey circling
over both the "Portland Point" nest and the "Salt Point" nest, while both
parents and young were occupying the nests. My thoughts at the time were that
it was possibly a floater adult (or two separate floaters) who had not found a
nest site yet, and was looking for one to take over. Maybe the bird(s) did not
have a take-over in mind, but there are nevertheless additional Ospreys in the
area that are looking for places to breed. The new platform on the hill above
Myers is meant to provide a nesting site for the third "hoverer" who likes to
visit the other two established pairs.

With regards to Stewart Park, I have heard that an Osprey was seen trying
(unsuccessfully) to pile sticks on top of a light post in a ball field. That
sounds to me like they are trying to build a nest there anyway, and that maybe
they could use a platform. At any rate, discussions are underway for whether a
platform could go there as well. According to Paul, they were thinking of the
point of land across the inlet from the old boathouse, visible for interested
parties but well away from Stewart Park activity.

Like Bill, I think they are just limited by food availability and are not
particularly territorial. I don't find the platforms to be an eyesore; on the
contrary, it thrills me to see a raptor on the rebound, once rare in our
community, but now coming back with a little help. And, like Geo mentions, part
of the benefits to more platforms is that it may help avoid power line fires,
which are dangerous for both birds and people. So bring on the Ospreys (or Bald
Eagles, or Great Horned Owls)!

Best,

Robyn Bailey
Lansing