Indeed, the side stripe stands out dramatically! Just to clarify, that list
with photos was from last weekend up close to Mud Lock. By the time we saw
the one you guys found, it was quite distant, so today's photo was far from
what I would consider nice:
Great find, though. It's great that people are becoming more aware about
this very rare but apparently regular visitor here. If folks are interested
(and haven't seen them already), here is a photo of the Eurasian Teal Tim
Lenz found a few weeks ago at the south end of Seneca Lake:
And here are Chris Wood's photos of the one he found at East Shore Park
last weekend:

And while we're at it, might as well throw in a quick recap of other Common
Teal in the Basin. First I know of, in 2004:
Then in 2007, same spot:
And 2011:
One at Montezuma also in 2011:
One at Mud Lock in 2012 (even worse photo than today...):
And finally, an intergrade (similar to today's bird) in 2011:

--
Jay McGowan
Macaulay Library