Please report any interactions you see this spring and summer between
eagles and ospreys in the *Cayuga Lake and Seneca Lake drainage basins* to
me at <*cec...@gmail.com <cec...@gmail.com>*>. In addition to osprey nest
locations, I am collecting preliminary data on the pressures these two
species exert on one another.

*DATA NEEDED FROM YOUR SIGHTINGS, IF POSSIBLE:*

*BIRDS*• If possible, identify the sexes and species involved, Females are
larger than males in both species.
• Note the date, time, weather, location, and most importantly, describe
their behaviors as best as you can.

*FISH If a fish is involved in the eagle-osprey interaction, please try to:*•
identify the species to family or genus and
• estimate its weight and length from tip of snout to the base of the tail.
• and most importantly, describe their behaviors as best as you can.

*To help your fish ID, look to see if:*
•the fish has a second, small adipose (fatty) fin on its back before the
tail (salmon-trout);
• it is a long and fat fish rather than flat, and with there are barbels
around the mouth (catfish);
• the tail is forked or unforked tail;
• it is extremely long and thin (pike); and if
• it's body is deep rather than long (sunfish family) or
• it's longer than it is wide, as in a trout, perch, or small-mouth bass.

I would like to thank you all in advance for whatever information you can
shore about these species over the 2014 breeding season. I know that midair
IDs of half-eaten fish are difficult, as is sexing the raptors themselves,
but you can be surprised how much info the smallest detail may bring. Just
write down what you see and please send it to me at cec...@gmail.com.

Again, many thanks for your help!

Eyes to the skies!
Candace

 Candace Cornell

cec...@gmail.com

Cayuga Bird Club

Conservation Action Committee

REGARDING MY EMAIL OF APRIL 22, 2014, *PLEASE NOTE:*
I am very conscious of and highly respective of private property rights in
the States and the reasons to protect nest locations. However, I determined
all the osprey nests that I listed on Cayuga Lake were either on public
property right-of-ways and/or visible from public land and that the
benefits of responsible birders knowing where these nests are outweighs the
harm it could do.

Therefore, I sincerely hope no land owners are offended by the publication
of this information and that all birders who go to see these nests are
mindful of the property rights of others and respectful of the environment
in which they are far more than just an observer. CEC