Over Memorial Day weekend, I’ll be leading a series of activities,
collectively called the Finger Lakes Land Trust Spring Bird Quest (SBQ), to
celebrate our local birds, the lands on which their lives depend, and the
Land Trust’s role in preserving these vital habitats.

Please below for a full schedule and directions to the preserves.  (Note
that the Saturday walk at the McIlroy Sanctuary will begin at a new spot,
not the main parking area, to highlight a recent addition to the preserve.)

In addition to leading the walks, as usual I’ll be counting species, and
raising money via pledges to support the Land Trust’s efforts in our region.
In the past eight years, SBQ supporters have donated more than $28,000.  I
hope we can roar past the $30,000 mark this year with people’s help.  Please
contact me off-list if you’d like to pledge.  (The bird walks are free of
charge, but donations on the spot are welcome too.)

Thank you for your consideration.  And if you care to join me in birding,
counting, and raising pledges, please do!!  Contact me or the Land Trust’s
Edie Jodz (ediej...@fllt.org) for more details.

I hope to see many of you out on the trails this month, and especially
during the SBQ!

Mark Chao

Saturday, May 24

8:00 AM

Dorothy McIlroy Bird Sanctuary

Lake Como Road, Summerhill.

This year, the walk will begin at the Maneri tract, a new addition to the
McIlroy Bird Sanctuary.  Take Rt. 90 to Lake Como Road. Turn north onto on
Lake Como Road and continue for about 1.5 miles until you come to Peth Road.
Make a right onto Peth Road and park in snowplow turnaround just past
driveway. If turnaround is full, park on shoulder, but be sure to leave
enough room for other vehicles and farm equipment to get by.

Sunday, May 25

8:00 AM

Lindsay-Parsons Biodiversity Preserve

West Danby

>From Ithaca, take Rt. 13 south to junction with Rt. 34/96. Continue south on
34/96 to hamlet of West Danby. Preserve entrance is on left, ½ mile past
Sylvan Drive.

Monday, May 26

6:30 AM

Goetchius Wetland Preserve

Caroline

>From Ithaca, take Rt. 79 east approximately 11 miles and turn left on Flat
Iron Road. Continue up the road approx. 0.5 mile to marked parking area on
left.

Monday, May 26

8:30 AM

Roy H. Park Preserve (south).

>From Ithaca, take Rt. 13 north to Irish Settlement Rd. Turn right and
continue 1.5 miles past Hammond Hill Rd. to the south parking area. The
preserve parking area is on the left just past the southern end of Goodband
Rd.

---
is active.