Hawthorn Orchard, Tompkins, US-NY
May 9, 2014 7:27 AM - 9:41 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)

Comments:     Really good morning and enjoyable to witness the continued
daytime stream of nocturnally migrating warblers, calling as they flew
overhead. Early on, most birds were in willows and ravine just North-Northeast
of the softball field. Later, birds were along North ravine edge and at
scattered points throughout the Hawthorn Orchard. The Hawthorns are not
anywhere near blooming yet, but some apple trees were in full bloom. Shaping up
to be a nice spring.

Submitted from BirdLog NA for iOS, version 1.7.1

62 species (+1 other taxa)

Turkey Vulture  1
Osprey  2
Killdeer  1
Mourning Dove  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Downy Woodpecker  1
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  1
Least Flycatcher  10
Great Crested Flycatcher  2
Eastern Kingbird  1

Yellow-throated Vireo  1
Blue-headed Vireo  3
Warbling Vireo  3
Philadelphia Vireo  1     In willows NE of softball field
Red-eyed Vireo  1

Blue Jay  17
American Crow  6
Common Raven  1     In flight being chased by two American Crows. East of Polo
Barn, headed South.
Barn Swallow  2
Black-capped Chickadee  12
Tufted Titmouse  1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  2
Wood Thrush  1     NW corner, into ravine.
American Robin  10
Gray Catbird  15
Brown Thrasher  1     Middle of Hawthorn Orchard, then South side.
Northern Mockingbird  2     Chasing each other around…at intersection of Judd
Falls, Mitchell St., Ellis Hollow Rd., Pine Tree Rd.
European Starling  10

Ovenbird  2
Blue-winged Warbler  2
Black-and-white Warbler  4
Nashville Warbler  8
Common Yellowthroat  4
American Redstart  7
Cape May Warbler  2     First thing in AM, 1 Adult male, low in bushes NE
corner of Hawthorn Orchard, moving East. Later, 1 adult female in treetops NW
corner, flew East.
Northern Parula  3
Magnolia Warbler  8
Blackburnian Warbler  4
Yellow Warbler  10
Chestnut-sided Warbler  8
Black-throated Blue Warbler  1     Singing in ravine.
Yellow-rumped Warbler  4
Black-throated Green Warbler  6
Wilson's Warbler  1     Originally singing from shrubbery near willows NE of
softball field; later down in North ravine near Mitchell St.

warbler sp.  27     All as night migrants continuing overhead well into the
morning daylight hours. There were many more overhead that I am sure I missed
(I could hear them). Those which were seen were low to mid-height. Even after
10am, I heard and saw some individuals migrating mid-height while I was walking
through a parking lot. Many of these had very short "seet" flight notes,
suggesting Nashville, Parula, Cape May, etc. All visible birds were generally
flying in an Easterly direction, with South-Southeast winds this AM.

Chipping Sparrow  5
Song Sparrow  9
White-throated Sparrow  14
White-crowned Sparrow  1