Speaking of playbacks, MNWR is currently conducting a march bird monitoring
program (I recognize that the OP was referring to recreational use of playback
tapes and not research usage) . Teams of volunteers have established sites
throughout the Refuge and the protocol includes a call back session for Least
Bittern, Sora, Virginia Rail, King Rail and American Bittern. We are also
listening for (but not broadcasting the songs of) American Coot, Common
Gallinule and Pied-billed Grebe. My wife and I have the south part of the Main
Pool and surveyed last night after the wind died down. The only species we dd
not record were Least Bittern and King Rail (no surprise!). Highlights included
dueling thunderpumpers, a gazillion muskrats, Bald Eagles perched on muskrat
lodges, and as we were hauling out the canoe we spotted a short-tailed weasel.
At first I thought it was a mink (the danger of identifying a species by
habitat) but he gave us some good looks and there is no doubt as to its
identity. Laura got out of the canoe as the bow touched land and that is what
spooked up the weasel. It ran back and forth on the shore a bit and was
completely focused on me and the canoe, to the extent that it did not even seem
to see Laura. It eventually ran right past her and ON her paddle. Who says
volunteers don't get paid?