From: bounce-115419961-3493...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-115419961-3493...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Marie P. Read
Sent: Monday, May 12, 2014 1:05 PM
To: Karen L Edelstein; CAYUGABIRDS-L; NATURAL-HISTORY-L
Subject: RE: [cayugabirds-l] interesting WB nuthatch behavior

I've seen this happening when a nuthatch is approached too closely by another
species of bird at a feeder, so a kind of interspecific aggressive display.
They also do it as a distraction display, when their nest is threatened by
another species of bird or a mammal such as a chipmunk. The various moves and
plumage positions (ie fluffed or smooth) during distraction and aggressive
displays often make the displaying bird look larger and more threatening
itself.

Cool observation. I too would love to photograph the behavior, but at feeders
it's not necessarily predictable.

Marie

Marie Read Wildlife Photography
452 Ringwood Road
Freeville NY  13068 USA

Phone  607-539-6608
e-mail   m...@cornell.edu

http://www.marieread.com

Author of Sierra Wings: Birds of the Mono Lake Basin    Available here:

http://marieread.photoshelter.com/gallery/Sierra-Wings-Birds-of-the-Mono-Lake-Basin/G0000NlCxX37uTzE