Things were pretty quiet around the Wilson Trail, but activity picked up on the
Severinghaus Trail between the Wilson Trail and the road. We found a SWAINSON'S
THRUSH through here and then came upon a warbler flock high in the trees as we
approached the road that included at least one BAY-BREASTED WARBLER and a
NORTHERN PARULA. After the flock disappeared, we went across the street, where
we refound the flock. We saw at least a dozen warblers foraging in the tree
tops. Most were silent and backlit, but we found and heard BLACK-THROATED GREEN
and BLACKBURNIAN.

Later on the wood chip trail that connects the Hoyt-Pileated Trail with the
road, we found a GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSH. This bird was very dark backed-from cap
to tail, and it lacked face markings. It had limited, clear, dark spots on the
lower throat and upper breast, surrounded by smudgy spots on the sides and
lower breast. Like the bird I found before, this bird was very cooperative and
let us study it for quite a while at about 10' away.

Anne Marie Johnson (with husband, Tim)