Went with Dan Watkins to Montezuma today. Started in the northern section on
Carncross road. It was very windy which hampered scope viewing to some extent.
Gone are the large numbers of yellowlegs of about 10 days ago. Now the
SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS have come in with quite a few in the muddy cornfield. Also
there were a lot
of LEAST SANDPIPERS too which have come in since I was there about 10 days ago.
DUNLIN remain and actually appeared more numerous. There are still about a
dozen or so
CASPIAN TERNS. We did have 2 very rust colored SANDHILL CRANES in the way back
toward the woods. The ibis was not by the bridge.

Next stop was Van Dyne Sporer road and it was again very windy. The water level
is high and there wasnt much. COMMON GALLINULES AMERICAN COOTs were easily
seen. A few LEAST SANDPIPERS and a SPOTTED SANDPIPER were heard. We did hear 4
singing CERULEAN WARBLERS in the woods of Van Dyne Sporer road which was very
nice.

Next was Towpath road and it was in bad condition.  Water levels are high,
lingering waterfowl gone and few waders. I have never seen Knox-Marcellus marsh
so empty. We did have one GREAT EGRET and there was a singing CERULEAN WARBLER
in the woods.

Wildlife drive actually was really good. We saw a first year male ORCHARD
ORIOLE fly across the road near post 6 between larues and the carp crossing.
The bird was singing off and on in a bushy tree by the Seneca River.Then I
refound a male CANVASBACK sitting on a mound in the main pool which was there
10 days ago. There was another male CANVASBACK today sleeping right next to
this mound which  I didnt see or missed last time. Then 2 gorgeous BLACK TERNS
flew low fairly close to the road. This is all is the same spot as where we had
the ORCHARD ORIOLE. Then 4 COMMON TERNS flew by farther out in the main pool
and landed on some mounds. Then we had another small flock of terns over the
Seneca river, but these were different. Much whiter, more orange vs red on the
bill and distinctly longer forked tails. FORSTERS TERNS! They also were
vocalizing which helped with the id. They flew down the Seneca River toward
Routes 5/20. We drove up farther and got great
 views of an AMERICAN BITTERN right next the road in the new shorebird area.
The rest of wildlife drive was quiet.

Tschache pool had little waterfowl compared to 10 days ago. Best birds in my
opinion where at least 36 BLACK TERNS in the back of the marsh. There was also
one GREAT EGRET and the usual gallinules and coots.

One of the May's point RED HEADED WOODPECKER also made an appearance for us
which was awesome.

Dave Nicosia

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android