Today I spent most of my time at home and in the yard. Whole day I have been
listening to the begging of the young grackles  and the way they make noise
when the parents come to feed them. Even now they are continuously making noise.

Also other birds of interest, a Purple Finch sang from one of my spruces for  a
longtime. A Red-eyed Vireo also spent much of his time in the yard.  A
Yellow-billed Cuckoo called a couple of times.  House Wren has been weaving in
and out.

I don't know what is the story of my Catbird.  In last week I have not heard
the male sing in the morning, I attributed it to the cold mornings. But I have
a catbird, and it makes a high pitched sound and meowing noise.  The day the
male catbird arrived I saw both male and female together.  So now there are
several possibilities.

1. The catbird I hear is a female and that is why she is not singing like a
male. Has anyone heard a female sing in high pitched voice?

2. Something happened to my male catbird, hit by a car or eaten by a predator
or a cat as I have seen recently one hanging around my yard. Or natural death
due to old age. But he sang pretty vigorously.

3. He found another girl so he left the older girl for her.

4. Now may be the current catbird has a nest and she has laid eggs and that is
the reason why he is not singing. But in the previous years he sang everyday.

It is bothering me as to what happened to the male.

Hope at least the female will find a new mate and they continue their family!

Cheers

Meena

Meena Haribal
Ithaca NY 14850