Friends,

I hurt my rotator cuff and can't be at the Salt Point osprey nest as many
hours as I'd like this week and next. Unfortunately, this is when the first
osprey egg will hatch (sometime by June 11) and I must get the correct
hatch date.

If you are birding at Myers or Salt Point, please email me immediately if
you see this change in the osprey pair's behavior so that I can verify it.

Up until egg hatching, the female incubates the eggs during most of the day
and all night. The nest is deeper this year than last year *so it often
looks like there is no adult when one is always there incubating*. The male
does all the fishing and gives the female a partial fish at least three
times a day. *She will fly off to a tree to eat it while the male takes
over incubation.*  She may fly around and bath after eating, but will
return to the nest usually within the hour and the pair will switch places
again.

However, *beginning on the day the first egg hatches, the female will no
longer leave the nest.* The male will still bring her fish, but she will
feed it to her hatchling, if it is strong enough, first and then
herself. *Please
email me as soon as you see her eat at the nest. cec...@gmail.com
<cec...@gmail.com>*

I sincerely appreciate every one's help with this. I have had so much
valuable help from Cayuga birders with my osprey population studies so far
and thank you in advance for any help you can offer at Salt Point.

Candace

It takes a village to accomplish anything worthwhile.