I was in Rochester yesterday, but back at home this morning, and still have a
Yellow-billed Cuckoo calling. The call is a harsh throaty "Kowp.... Kowp....
Kowp.... Kowp.... Kowp.... Kowp.... Kowp.... Kowp...."

I had decided that I just couldn't describe the differentiation of Black-billed
and Yellow-billed Cuckoo calls as John requested, but regarding _this_
particular call, I listen for the differences between hard "C" and harder "K",
and between a mellow "oo" and a raspy hollow "owp".  (this just breaks down a
transliteration found in some field guides; I'm not asserting that it should be
meaningful to anyone other than me)

Out the window right now, I'm watching a pair of Great-crested Flycatchers
gathering nest material from the garden!

My responses to Richard's Mockingbird questions:

>> 1, How large a collection of different sounds can one bird make?

The brain's the limit!

>> 2. I recognize some of the sounds. Would a cardinal be confused in hearing
>> his call?

Perhaps momentarily, but the Mockingbird's habit of varying the calls, and
delivering each one in triplicate, quickly gives the game away

>> 3. Are the sonograms of a mockingbird and a cardinal about the same, or can
>> you tell them apart.

I'm not up on sonograms, but I assume they can be drawn at various resolutions,
and that a low-res similarity would break down at sufficiently high resolution.

>> 4. Mockingbirds migrate. Can you tell where they spent the winter by the
>> songs they sing?

I had a Catbird around home one summer who sang "chuck-wills-widow". I couldn't
say _where_ he learned that, but l don't think he made it up!

>> 5. Do mockingbirds make calls of predators like owls or hawks?

Yes.

-Geo Kloppel