Started at K-M Marsh from East Road around noon. As expected lighting was
bad
but clouds helped to some extent. Most of the shorebirds were distant and
in the
shimmer which again, as expected, was really bad. Notable, but not rare
birds, were
a single CASPIAN TERN loafing with the lingering waterfowl. Same bird as
last week?
There was also a GREATER YELLOWLEGS closer to the west edge of the marsh in
the weedy area. Again, same bird as last week? I also heard and then found
a male adult ORCHARD ORIOLE singing from the top of a willow by the edge of
the marsh.

Next stop was Armitage Road. PROTHONOTARY WARBLERS were the highlight.The
nest hole
is easily seen from the road and I saw the female go in. The male was in
close proximity and at one time was dive bombing a poor AMERICAN ROBIN who
was innocently perched on the top of the dead tree stump just above the
nest hole. I also heard a NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH singing and singing. Same
location as a week or so ago. I assume this is a breeder or at least a
singing male on territory. This is a very interesting place where birds of
northern affinities meet southern birds. CERULEAN WARBLERS are fairly
common here. I also heard a YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO calling.  Near the bridge,
to the left in the woods across the river, I heard what I believe was an
ACADIAN FLYCATCHER. The song was pretty apparent... pit see!!!  But it was
distant and I heard it only twice so I can't be certain.

Next stop was Seneca Meadows. There was nothing unusual. Highlight was baby
KILLDEER along the path and in the gravel parking lot.   Also spoke with
the Field Biologist there, Mike McGraw?? and he mentioned that he has one
singing GRASSHOPPER SPARROW down there.

Then I stopped back at East Road with better lighting, less shimmer and
thicker clouds. The shorebirds got closer at times and I was finally able
to pick out a WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER among the many SEMIPALMATED
SANDPIPERS. The bird clearly had a longer primary projection, finer more
even mottling down to the flank, white supercilium. It was also bigger,
especially at the "shoulders" or upper wing area. Then when it flushed, the
white-rump was easily seen. I also picked out one LEAST SANDPIPER with its
darker brown plumage, slightly curved bill and of course lighter legs.
 Then I had a late SOLITARY SANDPIPER which was taking a bath at first.
There were also SPOTTED SANDPIPERS,and KILLDEER as expected, and many
SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS. 3 BLACK BELLIED PLOVERS including 2 gorgeous adult
breeding plumage birds and one that was either a female or one still in
molt, 1 SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER, atlantic race, as the orangish-red did not
extend all the way to the tail.  I also had a breeding plumage DUNLIN and 1
basic plumage DUNLIN with no evidence of any black at all on the under
belly, a first summer bird??  The GREATER YELLOWLEGS of earlier in the day
was still present almost in the same spot and also in the weedier areas I
found a late LESSER YELLOWLEGS too. For this late date, I had 12 species of
shorebirds. I also wonder if some of these birds (yellowlegs, SOSA) will
linger into the summer and "merge" with the fall migration of shorebirds
that begins in just a few weeks!

The CASPIAN TERN also was still present with numerous BLACK TERNS. Will
this CASPIAN linger into July and eventually be joined by southbound CATE??
Lingering or breeding waterfowl included both species of teal, shovelers,
gadwall, and american wigeon. I also heard another YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO
from the woods by Towpath road. The ORCHARD ORIOLE was also singing away
from the same willow that I had him earlier.

I could not re-locate any phalaropes but I probably just missed them.

Dave Nicosia