Highlights from a lunchtime walk around the pond at Sapsucker Woods today
included two YELLOW-THROATED VIREOS, one singing a normal song from across
the pond (perhaps near the southwest corner), and one singing a spot-on
Blue-headed Vireo song along the Wilson Trail North. This latter was
bizarre, not just a not-very-burry Yellow-throated but a really close to
perfect Blue-headed, but I watched it sing and it was unquestionably a
Yellow-throated.

The second highlight was at least two begging juvenile BARRED OWLS and one
or two adults nearby along the trail on the west side of Sapsucker Woods
just a bit north of the trailheads along the road. The juveniles were
giving their raspy, rising hiss begging calls and one of the adults would
give a two-note hoot occasionally. I think Sean Scanlon's bird walk saw
these guys earlier today, but this is the first I have seen of them this
summer. I didn't get a great look at the juveniles but they looked pretty
old, flying around competently and only downy around the fringes.

--
Jay McGowan
Macaulay Library