When I was researching screech owl box plans, everyone seems to have converged
on a shape about 8 in sq and 10-12 deep from the entry hole which is about
2.5-3” diameter about 3-4” below the roof. So deep cavity like a hollow in a
tree, basically. You might get away with attaching a latch to the mailbox door,
drill a 3” hole in the bottom near one end, then hang it vertically so that
hole is now on the top of the outward facing side, assuming it started out as a
‘normal’ mailbox shape. You probably should add a slanted piece of wood or
cedar shingle as a roof and drill a couple small holes (3/4-1”) in the floor
for drainage and a couple small holes just under the roof eave for ventilation.
The latched door can be opened to clean it out every year or two after the
occupants leave.

Otherwise, a plain ol’ box has some chance of being adopted by something: mine
attracted Great Crested Flycatchers who fledged 2 young last year! Followed by
a gray squirrel who built an elaborate and comfy winter home in it (now cleaned
out, hoping for owls again this winter).

Chris Pelkie
IT Support Assistant
Bioacoustics Research Program
Cornell Lab of Ornithology