On the 13th of July I saw a female American Goldfinch in my yard gathering
stems from the seedheads of a large ornamental grass, evidently gathering
structural material for a nest. This evening in my yard I saw a female American
Goldfinch apparently gathering spiderwebs around the windows of our shed and
the nearby fence.  I knew they were late nesters, but I assumed they'd be a
bit farther along by the midde of July.

This week we discovered that a domed nest had appeared in a hanging planter on
our back porch. It was in good shape but empty. Yesterday I approached it and
my intent to see what was inside was clearer than my vision: I flushed a
Carolina Wren. We both made somewhat startled and upset noises. Today the wren
is back using the nest.

On another subject, this afternoon I saw what I think is only the second
Honeybee of the season for me. It was on Birdsfoot Trefoil on a strip of lawn
near Six-mile Creek and South Meadow Street in Ithaca.