1) It's common for duckling families to get mixed up or combined. After all,
the parents don't feed the young, the mothers mainly guide them to feeding and
sheltering areas and warn them of danger. Any mother duck can do that, even a
different species. In some species several females seem to deliberately combine
their broods into what is called a creche. And I think sometimes a female will
deliberately recruit another female's young, although sometimes a stray
youngster will also be rejected. I don't know why. So, yes, your group of 32
youngsters likely has multiple mothers. By the way, some ducks are also known
for laying some eggs in other females' nests, not necessarily of the same
species. So a female may even start out with more than her own brood in tow.

2) I have heard of Bald Eagles or Ospreys accidentally dropping a fish on land,
but not retrieving it. Yes Bald Eagles eat carrion, including fish, but I think
the choice is highly influenced by laziness. Is it really easy to just fly out,
rake your feet in the water and grab fresh food? Probably yes, for that adult.
But maybe if you're a youngster and not very good at hunting, the easiest way
to get fed is to dig into a washed up carcass.

3) I don't know if Turkey Vultures would be curious about a zucchini, but I
doubt they'd mistake it for carrion. I think the term "kettle" refers to a
group of raptors circling to gether in a thermal because of the similarity to
the boiling motion of water.

Corrections welcome.

--Dave Nutter