From: bounce-117669890-3493...@list.cornell.edu
<bounce-117669890-3493...@list.cornell.edu> on behalf of Meena Madhav Haribal
<m...@cornell.edu>
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2014 11:32 PM
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] MNWR yesterday

Yesterday I was thinking of going on the morning group walk to MNWR, but I came
back from Moth Week Party at Treman SP only around 1.00 Am and after that too
spent another hour at my moth sheet, which was fun where we saw over hundred
species of moths. So when I got up at 6.00 am, I decided to go back to sleep
again.

Here is the Picasa link to some of the moths and people

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/118047473426099383469/albums/6040743710476999841?sort=1

Finally, after three pm I decided to go MNWR. Again several time along the
road, I felt like turning back as I was feeling sleepy, but continued! I do not
regret the decision.

I wanted to see Least Bittern so I decided to first stop at the main drive. I
took a mile walk of Seneca way loop  near the visitor center and I found lots
of shorebirds at the Seneca spillway before LaRue's.  So I spent sometime
taking videos of the behaviors. among shore birds there were several Lesser
Yellowlegs, a couple of greater Yellowlegs, two Solitary Sandpipers, two
Spotted Sandpipers, five Pectoral Sandpipers, 7 or 8 Least Sandpipers and
several Swamp and Song Sparrows.  I spent more than an hour here.

I watched two Yellowlegs, one was Lesser and the other I think was Greater
Yellowlegs juvenile, at least by the behavior. They were feeding close by each
other but their territory did not overlap. They kept going and round and round
and feeding within their distance. Once one of them seemed to have gone into
the territory of the other bird. Other bird approached it. Suddenly the first
yellowlegs sat down as if waiting for an attack and in submissive manner. See
in the attached video. Then they were chasing one of the new comers, three or
four individuals that were feeding at the site chased  the bird in concert till
the bird departed to LaRue's lagoon.  See in the second video link.

Then along the drive I watched each musk rat island was occupied by a family of
birds. Several ones were occupied by Common Moorhen families. It was
interesting to watch with which parent chicks would go for a feeding expedition.

Then there was a family of Pied-billed Grebes, which were successful in the
getting fish. This made a young Ring-billed Gull try to steal from the babies.
Smart babies dove as soon as they saw gull heading towards them. Once gull
tried to go under water to snatch the a fish from the babies.

Then as I was driving further ahead a LEAST BITTERN flew from the marsh where
there was some water and go towards LaRue's. Then shortly I saw the second one.
 It was not very satisfying look but good enough.

As I continued I found several more muskrat islands occupied by families of a
Wood Duck with female in attendance, Coot's family of pretty large babies, a
family of Mallards. It seemed that they were ready to sleep for the night.

A Muskrat was busy cutting mouthful of grass and taking it to the nest and
coming back again and again for some more. I don't know if it feeds its young
with grass or the male was taking the grass for nursing female.  It was working
just a few feet from my car.

I also saw Marie Read's tree where the swallows were congregating for the roost.

Finally by the time I headed to Knox-Marsellus sun was already behind the
clouds and light was getting bad. But I found Ken Rosenberg sorting out birds.
He found several Stilt Sandpipers, two Bonaparte's gulls, the pelican which was
hiding somewhere for sometime came into the open.   We also saw six or seven (I
forget)  Sandhill Cranes silently come into the marsh.

Plus there were lots of odonates including several darners and also saw three
Giant Swallowtails, Monarchs (including a mating pair) and other butterflies
too!

Overall it was a fantastic day!

And on Saturday night at Treman SP, there were two baby Great-horned Owls were
continuously begging and on Friday night at the Watkins Glen state park a
Barred Owl called a couple of times.  And yesterday morning as I was going to
the lab, as I turned on Pine Tree Road from Honness Lane a Raven flew overhead
calling loudly.

Links to yellowlegs videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nbFubwnukE

http://youtu.be/sIHI4uKtqjk