From: bounce-117778739-3493...@list.cornell.edu
<bounce-117778739-3493...@list.cornell.edu> on behalf of Geo Kloppel
<geoklop...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2014 9:10 PM
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Nighthawks

This evening Pat and I were delivering groceries to her 95 year old mother,
who's recovering from temporal arteritis. We left her place on Triphammer Road
at 7:15, stopped at Sunset Park to see if we could spot any Nighthawks from
there, then zipped down to the RTJ golf course. We parked near the lodge and
took stations along the post-and-rail fence where we could see lots of sky.
Various people stopped and asked about what we were looking for (the Audubon
Field Guide app is such a great resource to have in one's pocket for answering
questions like that!)

At about 7:40 I spotted one Nighthawk far away over Lighthouse Woods. Another
birder came by a couple minutes later, but left before I got his name. Five
minutes later there were seven Nighthawks over our heads. I wrote a quick email
notice (I always have email access in my pocket, but no texting). Soon the
birds headed over toward the Fire Training Tower, Fall Creek and Renwick Wood,
so we drove over there, and enjoyed at least nine Nighthawks foraging at
treetop level - great views!

They all disappeared by 8:00 pm.

-Geo