I had left the window open yesterday night and was facing the window and
sleeping to catch the cool breeze. Early morning at 1.50 am I was woken up to
a call of Eastern Screech Owl.   After a few seconds it became louder, so I
went to pick up my recorder and tried to record the sound, to my dismay I found
both Hard drive and SD card were both full. So I deleted some files and then
tried to record. Just then the my battery power went low and started flashing.
Finally I gave up and just listened to it calling. First it did several
winnowing and did tooting for quite some time.  It continued till 10 minutes or
so.   Then I got desperate. So I decided to use my android note pad with a
video recorder. I was just about to hit the video switch on, when the bird
decided it had enough and it stopped.

What is interesting to me and bothering question is did I wake up to the call
of owl? Or was it by chance I woke up and heard the call. What I recall is when
I woke up I was listening to the call of the owl. So it seems I was conscious
of bird calling already when I came to my senses.  So this brings another
question, so if I knew I was listening to the owl, did my brain wake me up so
that I could hear it? I don't wake up for the truck passing by or a dog
barking, which occur through out the night everyday.  So how does our brain
know that we are interested in listening to owl call so it wakes us up and we
don't care for dog barking or a passing truck so our brain just does not wake
us up to perceive those sounds. So it is amazing if our brain wakes us up as we
are quite interested in listening to owl calls! Oh it is all confusing to
explain!

Meena

Meena Haribal
Ithaca NY 14850