The Cayuga Bird Club will be meeting on Monday, October 13, at 7:30 at the
Cornell Lab of Ornithology, with cookies and conversation at 7:15.

  Our speaker, Julie Zickefoose, a writer, artist and naturalist at home in the
Appalachian foothills of Ohio, will give her presentation “The Bluebird
Effect: Uncommon Bonds with Common Birds”.   “Every day, I roam our
80 acre wildlife sanctuary, and every day I find something new. This deep
relationship with the land is the wellspring for my writing and art. “

  Join writer/artist Julie Zickefoose for an evening exploring the intersection
of birds and spirituality in our lives. Can a bird become a demigod to some?
Can certain species achieve the level of a totem or spirit guide?  Are there
phenomena that occur at the intersection of man and nature that cannot be
explained by conventional means? These are concepts that have surfaced over a
lifetime of helping broken birds and mothering those who are orphaned, and in
so doing coming to know birds from the inside out. A scientist at heart, Julie
has lately found herself wondering more than knowing. This talk will help you
keep your spirit “open to the thrust of grace,” thinking about the
unexplainables in your own life.

  Members are invited to dinner with Julie before the meeting at 5:30 at
Aladdins in Collegetown. Please RSVP by noon Monday to cl...@juno.com so
reservations can be made.

Hope to see you Monday!
Colleen Richards
Correspondence Secretary
Cayuga Bird Club

*************************
And if interested:
Julie will also be doing a talk for the Cornell Plantations called, "Personal
Habitat: Creating a Haven for Wildlife (and Yourself)" - the story of an
artist's love affair with a piece of land, and the birds, animals, and plants
that inhabit it. Simple habitat enhancements can take a back yard from bland to
bustling with wildlife. In this talk, artist/writer Julie Zickefoose shows how
she and her husband have transformed their abandoned farm into a wildlife
sanctuary and observatory—a perfect personal habitat.
Date/time: Wednesday, October 15; 7:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Cost: Free; no-registration is required.
Location: Statler Hall Auditorium