Re response to this boy scout proposal for the Union Spring Mill pond:

I have much experience with "activism" & letter writing to small
town/non-Ithaca town boards (Lansing is not at all like Ithaca, with regard
to its governance and with the values of many of its citizens). I chaired
the huge effort last year to produce almost 200 paper letters to the Lans.
Town Board to ask them to approve acquisition of the Bell Station
undeveloped lakeshore land, by the NYSDEC for a State Forest (instead of
housing developments as some on the board wished). We also generated a large
number of environmentally-friendly people attending town bd meetings for a
while).

Fritzie, please provide the names of Village board members and the proper US
Mail address for letters to this board.

Yes, we should all write BRIEF -, one page only, to the point, paper letters
(not emails) that address why the pond should stay as it is now, and its
bushy surrounds should not be disturbed or cut down for a path & benches,
why the birds need the bushes and ducks to be undisturbed by human walkers
around the pond.

However,  local town boards will ignore letters from "outsiders" 1)  unless
we provide "good authority" for what we write (we need some Lab of O
employees to write letters), and

2)  unless we show how we birders benefit the local economy. (or other
benefits you may think of).

Eg., I am going to write that I buy pizza nearby at the NY Pizzaria and do
grocery shopping at the Shur Save Grocery store, as well as buy food from
other restaurants in U Spring, when I am there bird watching. (all true).

This point is very important to remember. "Outsiders" may be ignored, unless
we show why we, too, benefit Union Springs.

Another possible point: The Mill Pond area as it exists right now, with its
street-side mowed part and cute gazebo, already provides a nice spot for
humans; leaving the bushy part for animals and birds provides something for
all species - and all the birds and animals help "entertain" humans who stop
there. Put in a path, cut all the bushes and a lot of the "entertaining
critters" will go away.

I am going to suggest that we, with Fritzie's help, identify another
location where energetic Boy Scouts could do a helpful badge-earning
project, and try to get them focused away from the Mill pond.

We can remind the Board at U Spring that they already have a large,
mowed-lawn park right nearby at the lakeshore, so there is no compelling
need to turn the small southern space by the Mill pond into yet another
human-based" improvement", especially when doing so will cause great
disturbance of many sorts to birds and other wildlife.

Take time to write a paper letter to the Union Springs Village Board about
this important issue.

Donna Scott

Lansing