Ravens can be bigger than Red-tailed Hawks.  See
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/YXdbztCICccQudIkBI868dMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink.

Best,

Kevin

From: bounce-118619359-3493...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-118619359-3493...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Linda Orkin
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2014 8:19 AM
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L
Subject: Fwd: [cayugabirds-l] Raven inquiry

Clara, I also wondered how detailed you wanted Raven stories to be.  I often
take my dog walking in the woods up by the overlooks at Taughannock and Ravens
nest in that gorge. One of my delights is hearing them calling to each other as
they fly along the river.  One day one was stationary in a tree and doing many
different calls, all Raven sounding but with the variability of crows with lots
of vocalizations. Another time I was walking along the edge and a Raven flew
below me and I realized how huge they are.  According to some numbers I have
read they are close to a Red-tailed Hawk size.  And then another day I was
driving back down rt 89 and an crow was in furious pursuit of a Raven (they
will mob and chase them the same way they do hawks) and they were both kind of
flying diving straight at  me and the contrast in size and power was so
evident.  The Crow was about half the size and looked puny.  When you hear them
in the sky you immediately seize on that as a magic moment.

Nice talking to you this morning.
Linda

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 7:47 PM, Clara MacCarald