It would be great if an Eider appeared, but a note of caution: on 12/15/2014 I
scoped a big black and white Mallard (probably x Domestic) on Dryden Lake. I
think Jay had reported this previously. I can easily see how it could be
confused with an eider for the coloration, but the bill on my observed duck was
‘mallard’ as was the call which it did a large number of times while I watched
it in the scope. I have some awful digiscoped images of it: it had patchy black
on the cheek and eyes, white nape, black shoulders, black back but white
patches on the wings, black tail. It swam with Mallards and appeared to be
20-30% larger than them. Eider would probably have all white back and a more
defined black cap and nape, white cheek.

Hoping it IS an eider…. hopefully someone else will confirm one or the other.

ChrisP

On Dec 27, 2014, at 14:50 , Jill Vaughan