A bit late posting about this … Friday afternoon around 4:45 as I waited for my
bus across from Bradfield Hall, I saw one Peregrine perched on the usual ledge
about 2/3 of the way up the SW corner of the building. Then, before I could
reach the east side of the building to check the ledges there a 2nd Peregrine
took flight from that area and headed in a direct line SSE. Fortunately, I had
my binoculars with me and I was able to follow it all the way over near the
power lines that cross Judd Falls Rd. I noticed another bird sitting on the
power lines shortly before the Peregrine made a quick dive to take a swipe at
it. The other bird dove and took off westward and the Peregrine didn’t appear
to follow it aggressively, but unfortunately, at that moment a bus passed by
right behind me and I was obligated to run to check if it was mine. It wasn’t,
so I attempted to refind the Peregrine and quickly found it on it’s way in
direct flight back to the top of Bradfield where it sat for 30 seconds or so
before departing again, this time westward down Tower Rd. where it soon
disappeared from view.

It’s too bad that I was too far away and that my attention was draw away just
as it chased the other bird off the power line, so I was not able to identify
it, but from the little I was able to observe, I’d guess it was another falcon,
probably a Kestrel or Merlin. If so, was that some sort of territorial behavior
on the part of the Peregrine … certainly seems like it traveled that 1/2 mile
or so with the express purpose of dislodging the other bird.

   Ray