From: bounce-118751064-15001...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-118751064-15001...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Donna Lee Scott
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 11:10 AM
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Patriotic Yard Birds

Dawdling at the breakfast table after chores has its rewards here by the lake!
First I was treated to a nice flotilla of REDHEADS and their CA GEESE and
MALLARD groupies swimming and diving back and forth.

Then I had a rarer treat:
First, 2 BALD EAGLES, an adult and probably a 2nd year juvenile (lotsa white on
belly, some white flecks on head) landed in the tall cottonwood tree on my
beach, directly out from my kitchen table. They sat for a minute and the adult
flew off out over the lake, leaving Juv. on branch.  Soon, 3 of the 6 residents
of the local A. CROW family started harassing the Eagle, which mostly sat there
looking around, fluffing its feathers. The crows actually kept landing on
branches near the Eagle, as well as strafing its back. Some of my ~36 resident
MOURNING DOVES, who had been sitting near the water, beat a hasty retreat from
their lakeside perches, up into the yard by the house.

Then the Adult Eagle returned and the two flew just south of my property and
the adult dove down to the beach, while the Juv. perched in Cindy Lion's tree.
For a minute I thought I saw 2 adults, but was not sure. Then Juv. went down
and came back up with a long piece of tissue in its beak which it kept
transferring to its talons in flight. It seemed to be adjusting the tissue so
it could eat it, which I think it finally did. In the air.

Meanwhile, an adult came up with a red lump in talons and ate that in my tree,
with the Juv. hovering in air and then on branch nearby. After the little meal,
the adult started "screaming" (I was out on deck by now, watching, hearing).
The two took off again and flew down around the beach shore and then I saw that
there were indeed 2 adult eagles. The other must have been on the beach with a
prey animal.

All three took off flying over the water and in quick succession both adults
caught in their talons a prey animal from the surface of the water. Same size
prey, dark gray; then all three Eagles flew south out of sight. Prey looked
much more fish-like than duck-like.

--Donna Scott

Donna L. Scott
Lansing Station Road /Cayuga Lake