Although Northern Cardinals are known to have lived to be 15 years old, adults
have only a 60% chance of surviving from year to year. I suspect you have a new
bird on the block.

Kevin
From: bounce-118890755-3493...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-118890755-3493...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Meena Madhav
Haribal
Sent: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 7:26 AM
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Cardinal Song

​Hi all,

I have been hearing the cardinal sing, but to my ear the song seems different
than the usual he used to sing in the past time this year at this time of the
year. Instead of singing "kiddo kiddo" he seem to be singing a different tune.
So I am wondering if this means something else. I know one female from my area
presumably his mate was lost to  a Cooper's Hawk as meal. So I am not sure if
he is advertising for a female and territory or he is singing the usual song. I
wanted to record the song but at that time my heater was blasting with full
force. This year it is on most of the mornings due to really cold temperatures.
May be tomorrow I will give it a try.

Does anyone know of the different tunes cardinal use for different purposes? I
know once some one gave a talk on cardinal songs but I believe he did not touch
this subject.

Also a note of interest for those music and nature song lovers about this
special events https://westfield.org/conferences/environsmessiaen/schedule.html

Check it out.

Cheers

Meena