I started out from my house by driving along Lansing Sta. and Bill Geo. Rds.
Mostly gulls and Aythas seen on lake. Saw some perky GOLDENEYE males doing
courtship displays!

On Sweazey Rd. near the Cornell Small Fruits Orchard building by the road, I
found a pair of gorgeous BLUEBIRDS exploring the nest box on the fence nearest
the road. They both went in and out of the box. (Sweazey runs between Rt. 34 B
and Bill Geo. Rds). Their blue color is brilliant in the sun!

At Myers Park area I found most the species that Jay McG. noted earlier in the
day! What a treat.  But I have yet to see the Scoters or Wood Ducks.
Still some dead ducks in the town marina;  I met a man there a few days ago who
said he collected a lot of the bodies to get the bands on some of them for the
Ducks Unlimited/DEC database. He said he also works on the education boat in
summer.

After enjoying the birds, sunshine and sparkling open water at Myers park, the
private marina, and Salt Point, I drove up Lansingville Road off Rt. 34 B
towards southern Cayuga County.
I found some of the usual feeder birds here and there, and then a few HORNED
LARKS in a couple fields.
I turned down Atwater Rd. in Town of Genoa (after going thru "Genoa Heights" -
a private name for a hill top area, I think; has an amusing sign on the
telephone pole).
I started seeing small vees of SNOW GEESE every so often, flying towards Cayuga
Lake. Their white plumage with black wing tips is stunning against the bright
blue sky!  I have yet to see any "blue" ones in my spottings of Snow Geese in
the last few days.

Turned down Mahaney Rd heading east back towards No. Lansing and found lots of
EUROPEAN STARLINGS and only a few HORNED LARKS by the big Belltown Dairy Farm.
The people were doing a lot of noisy work around the big feed bins and storage
bays, so maybe birds were scared away.

Found some warbling TREE SPARROWS in a thicket of bush and trees on Davis Rd.,
as well as more of the usual birds, BLUE JAYS, JUNCOS, CARDINALS, ROBINS along
the road.
Then while noting some HOUSE SPARROWS in a big tangle of multiflora rose bush
and wild grape vine, I heard a pretty, varied song and finally located its
singer in the same tangle - a NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD quietly singing away in the
sunshine! It was a good close look and nice to see its throat moving as it sang.

More SNOW GEESE flew over, all in small vees, headed towards the lake.
Heading west towards home, I saw lots of A. CROWS on Jerry Smith Road in a
field they often inhabit.
Then near Rt. 34 B, a lovely A. KESTREL flew off in pursuit of something in the
field there.
In the back of the large field by Rt. 34B, across from jct. with Jerry Smith
Rd. I counted 30 deer feeding and lying down.

Two RED TAILED HAWKS flew over Algerine Road, but none of the 118 previously
seen Wild Turkeys were by the red-roofed barn west of Ludlow Rd. A soaring
TURKEY VULTURE completed my sightings until I got home to see my feeder birds,
including a couple male RED WINGED BLACKBIRDS greeting me with "Conk-a-Reeee"
call!

Donna L. Scott
Lansing Station Road
Lansing, NY