Got a question for others from the manager of some of the land at the
corner of King Rd and Sandbank Rd I had written him last year to ask about
his mowing plans, wanted to make sure he knew it was important nesting
habitat for bobolinks among others, and he was aware and sensitive to that.
He has just written me again, with the following note, which is pasted
under mine, and I wonder if anyone could help him with his questions. His
name is Steve Selin and his email is steve.se...@gmail.com.
Maybe it would be helpful for responses to be cced to the list so we'll
know when someone has helped him (and we won't inundate him)? Plus, the
answers might be instructive for us all.
Thanks so much for any guidance.
Melissa
-------

"I don’t know if I updated you on this field that you contacted me about.
Last year we worked with the owner on establishing a conservation easement
so it will never be subdivided. I am planting an orchard on a few acres of
it, and there rest is still open. I would like to keep it in field, and
would like to manage it with the lowest impact on the birds while also
keeping the trees and shrubs from coming back. Historically this would be
done by letting a hay farmer cut hay. However they often need to cut during
breeding seasons. Do you know anyone around here who knows what options
there are for help in managing the fields without disturbing the breeding
birds? "

I think that brush-hogging it later in the summer would work, but would
cost money, as opposed to having a hay farmer hay it for free or for a
small lease amount.Sometimes there are DEC programs to help with management
like this. Are you aware of any programs to help keep fields open but
without negatively impacting wildlife."

Steve Selin
--

Melissa Groo
nature photographer . wildlife biographer . educator

Follow my work
on Facebook: www.facebook.com/melissa.groo
on Instagram: @melissagroo