After reading the description of Woodcock lek habitat (am I using the term correctly??), it occurred to me that they might be present in the field next to and behind my house so I stomped out through my marshy backyard and through the little woodlot to the edge. Sure enough, I heard peenting! Didn't dare venture farther since a) I had foolishly neglected to bring a flashlight with which to find my way back; and b) I didn't want to risk disturbing the birds.

On Monday evening at the airport I heard peenting but could not get a visual. Tonight I tried again and heard both peenting and the whistling audio of the display but again could not find a bird with my binoculars. Also heard what sounded like a Great Horned Owl from somewhere in the woods east of Mohawk Road.