Oh no!

I confess that I try to avoid information about wildlife mortality due to excessively softhearted wishful thinking.

Is this sudden death of finches unusual, or is it due to possible starvation conditions due to the harsh and long winter, not remediable by the arrival of migrating birds finding stocked feeders?