Several years ago at Salt Point I heard a Brown Thrasher include Whip-poor-will
in its repertoire. I wondered if the mimid had heard the nightjar at that
location. Similarly last year (I think) where a Whip-poor-will had earlier
called near The Strand in Lansing, a Gray Catbird give a similar but imperfect
call, perhaps having only just learned it from the bird (or from birders'
playback attempts) wiith little opportunity for rehearsal. It each case it was
a bit like hearing an echo of a bird that had probably moved on.

--Dave Nutter