From: bounce-119318283-5851...@list.cornell.edu
[bounce-119318283-5851...@list.cornell.edu] on behalf of Marie P. Read
[m...@cornell.edu]
Sent: Saturday, May 23, 2015 1:17 PM
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Salt Point this morning

Hi all,

Beginning around 7:30 this morning, I spent a couple of hours birding and
photographing at Salt Point.
Selected birds seen/heard as follows:

5 Common Merganser adults hanging out with the resting gulls in Salmon Creek
1 Common Loon (breeding plumage) offshore
Belted Kingfisher
Osprey (of course!)
Orchard Oriole
Baltimore Oriole - several
Northern Mockingbird singing up a storm, presumably to attract a new mate after
its first nest attempt failed a couple of weeks ago (mate has disappeared).
John Greenley and I had fun deciphering its imitations of numerous species!
Also, the NOMO was feeding on small unripe fruits in a (cedar) tree right by
the parking area.
Yellow Warblers - lots
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Warbling Vireo
Willow Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird

New for me at Salt Point: Field Sparrow (heard only)
A very brief glimpse of a Scarlet Tanager (I think...far too red for a cardinal)

And many other common species.

Also, a question: A few days ago I was watching Purple Martins at the spit in
Myers Park. They, along with many Barn Swallows, were flying to the ground to
pick up nest material. Since the martin house is no longer there (or have I
missed it?), does anyone know where the martins could be nesting?

Marie

Marie Read Wildlife Photography
452 Ringwood Road
Freeville NY  13068 USA

Phone  607-539-6608
e-mail   m...@cornell.edu

http://www.marieread.com

Author of Sierra Wings: Birds of the Mono Lake Basin    Available here:

http://marieread.photoshelter.com/gallery/Sierra-Wings-Birds-of-the-Mono-Lake-Basin/G0000NlCxX37uTzE/C0000BPFGij6nLfE