In the middle of this warm afternoon Ann Mitchell & I visited Montezuma NWR's
Knox-Marsellus Marsh, viewing from East Rd. There were huge numbers of
shorebirds. I estimated three thousand DUNLIN. But the heat shimmer was a
problem, so we left and returned when the light was more behind us and the
ground wasn't being heated so much. At 5:30pm conditions were better for
scoping the distant shorebirds in shallow waters and wet or moist mud. There
were at least 15 BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS in various plumages, several each of
SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS, SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS, and LEAST SANDPIPERS, and 2
GREATER YELLOWLEGS. Ann also discovered a WILSON'S PHALAROPE, pot-bellied and
very white running drunkenly and pecking randomly at the water's surface among
a flock of sedately feeding Dunlin. As we showed it to other birders it kept
moving, then it flushed along with all the nearby Dunlin. I refound a pale
(male) Wilson's Phalarope only to have it walk up to another with a dark mark
on the side of the upper neck (a female). They stood erect and walked tight
circles around each other for a minute before resuming their odd foraging mode.
Then I noticed 2 more males, for 4 Wilson's Phalaropes in the same view. This
is the most I've encountered at once around here, and a great way to end a full
day of birding, which included finding the adult GLOSSY IBIS in Larue's Lagoon
along the Wildlife Drive. This was very fortunate, because Bob McGuire said (I
think - bad phone connection) that he saw it in the Main Pool, which could
have made it far harder to find or see well.