I had a tern on the north side of Myers Point, Lansing, Tompkins County this
morning that might have been an ARCTIC TERN. I have photos at
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/nlytDEitT_i55UkdYGmeQNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink,
 and the following images.

The bird was foraging back and forth in the bay north of Salt Point, south to
the mouth of Salmon Creek. I first saw it there and lost it going north. Later
I saw it moving along the shore of the bay, near docks on the north side. I
went to Salt Point and watched it fly back and forth down the shoreline until I
lost it on a northward move.

I originally thought it was a Forster's Tern because the upper surfaces of the
wings were so clean and white. I could see flashes of white(er) in the wingtips
on occasion when the bird banked, and never saw any dark in the inner section
of the primaries, as I would expect with Common Tern. There was a thin solid
dark trailing edge to the outermost primaries that did not extend to the
innermost or the secondaries.

Unlike Forster's Tern, however, the belly was darker than the rump and face.
The white rump extended onto the tail, not contrasting with it, which in the
photos shows clearly darker outer edges. In the dim light I could not confirm a
dark tip to the bill, but it did not look long or orange-based like a Forster's.

I jokingly told myself to stop thinking Common vs. Forster's and start trying
to make it into an Arctic Tern. But, I didn't seriously consider the idea until
I showed Jay the photos.

Any Sterna tern is unusual in the county this time of year, so I hope others
will go out and look for this bird.

Kevin

Kevin J. McGowan, Ph.D.
Project Manager
Distance Learning in Bird Biology
Cornell Lab of Ornithology
159 Sapsucker Woods Road
Ithaca, NY 14850
k...@cornell.edu<mailto:k...@cornell.edu>
607-254-2452

Do you know about our other distance-learning opportunities? Visit
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/courses<http://cornell.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b35ddb671faf4a16c0ce32406&id=19023cad4e&e=d3c0712a98>
 and learn about our comprehensive Home Study Course in Bird Biology, our
online course Investigating Behavior: Courtship and Rivalry in
Birds<http://cornell.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=b35ddb671faf4a16c0ce32406&id=d69183921c&e=d3c0712a98>,
 our Be A Better Birder
tutorials<http://cornell.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=b35ddb671faf4a16c0ce32406&id=9969512772&e=d3c0712a98>,
 and our series of