On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 9:51 AM, Meena Madhav Haribal <m...@cornell.edu>
wrote:

>  PS: Yesterday around 5.00 am there was a Great Horned Owl calling from
> Strawberry Hills woods.

On Friday night when I got home at 10:30pm, a Great Horned Owl was hooting
away atop a spruce tree right outside my house in Commonland. I got some
video with my infrared camera (including two bouts of hooting in the audio):

  https://www.flickr.com/photos/50094151@N03/18867923880/

Remarkably, even though it was pretty cool then (felt around 60, airport
reading 55), the bird did not register warmer than the spruce tree! ...
except for the facial disc and undertail area.

It was dark and I could not see it visually, despite its proximity. The owl
seemed confident in its invisibility and paid me no heed, that is until I
started making squeaky noises to get it to look down at me. It finally took
off when I sneezed.

Suan