From: bounce-119427645-3494...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-119427645-3494...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Dave Nutter
Sent: Sunday, July 05, 2015 6:06 AM
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] OOB: Black Stork nest-cam in Latvia

A few days ago my Stefhan Ohlström sent me this link to a site with several
nest-cams in Latvia, which is east across the Baltic Sea from the southern part
of his native Sweden.
https://www.eenet.ee/EENet/kaamerad
Some of the nests were already empty, which may also be why some cameras were
not streaming, but the BLACK STORK nest is still active:
https://www.eenet.ee/EENet/melnais-starkis
This species was unfamiliar to me. I haven't traveled to its range. My books
tell me it's more uncommon, shy, and solitary than the familiar rooftop-nesting
White Stork of open farmland. The Black Stork "frequents lakes, rivers and
marshes surrounded by woods."

The broad platform nest is in a huge tree within forest. There are 2 nestlings,
and they appear full-grown, so I don't know how much longer they'll remain in
view.  Despite their new feathers they look scruffy to me. Their necks and
backs are mottled with gray instead of pure black; their legs are gray and
bills yellowish rather than both being bright red. Mostly they stand, quietly
preening, or pacing slowly, sometimes poking at sticks of the nest, or backing
slowly toward the edge to defecate. A couple times I have seen a single
flap-hop. Stretches of those black wings are impressive, but otherwise it's a
subdued scene. The background noise, in addition to wind, big feathers, and a
fly or two, seems to include a pigeon, a wren, and some songbirds I don't
recognize.

It's worth waiting for a parent to show up, which I've now seen three times.
Even if you aren't watching, the sound will alert you. Suddenly the youngters
crouch down on their long tibio-tarsi and begin bobbing their heads and
calling. This can go on for several minutes while the parent stands on a nearby
branch, which may or may not be in view, or may fly to a different branch and
even seem to be uninterested. It can take awhile for the adult to actually come
to the nest and feed them. I don't think the delay is from reluctance to face
the huge and intimidating babies. They actually look obedient,
well-disciplined, and patient, yet persistent, while they beg. Perhaps the
adult needs a lot of stimulation. Maybe the internal rearranging of food and
regurgitation-muscles takes awhile.

Finally, wings spread above its children, the parent steps onto the nest,
extends its long neck forward and down between them, and opens its bill. The
excited youngsters are squealing, flapping their wings, and poking and grabbing
from either side when the parent coughs up food. The first time I saw this the
meal was a few anonymous bits which were quickly gobbled up by both, then the
parent departed.

The second feeding I saw, the begging seemed interminable, during which the sun
rose through the leaves in the background. The meal was a single fish almost
the size of the bird's neck. It came out suddenly. There was a very brief
scuffle until one youngster got a better grip and turned aside. I feared the
fish would be lost overboard, but the winner expertly swallowed it almost as
rapidly as it had been ejected from the parent. The sibling got nothing! I was
stunned. Then the parent bent over and produced a second, equally large fish!
Fortunately the hungry kid won that round and scarfed it down. The parent flew
off, leaving the youngsters to stand, rearrange their swollen necks, and
clatter their bills.

As I was finishing writing, I was interrupted by a third feeding. This time the
parent flew almost directly to the nest, rapidly produced several small items
which were eaten before I could ID them, and left. Still, the begging sound as
soon as the parent approached allowed me time to bring the view up. The
contrast with the second feeding I saw makes me wonder if each parent hunts
different prey.

Latvia is 7 hours ahead of us, so their sunrise is about 10pm for us, and the
place is dark during our afternoon and evening.

Subscribe, Configuration and
The Mail