Hi Cayugabirders,

I know that it can be difficult with the excitement of May having passed, and
the heat and thunderstorms sapping the will to go look at birds – sometimes you
don’t want to pick up binoculars and head out birding in July. However,
Avicaching is here to change that! Giving you a chance at FREE Zeiss
binoculars, some new places to visit, and also the ability to improve our
understanding of local birds – what more could you ask for?

The Avicaching project (http://ebird.org/content/ebird/avicaching/) has been
going on since this past April, and over 40 local birders have participated in
this local effort to inform our knowledge of bird distribution on small scales.
Every sighting counts, and your observations are used to inform bird
conservation and research on a regional, national, and global scale. All you
have to do to help is enter your sightings in eBird!

By participating in Avicaching, you’re helping improve our local knowledge
about bird distribution, while also getting to go out and see things that you
otherwise may not. Avicaching will take you places that you wouldn’t usually
go, and the rewards can range from discovering a new birding spot to sightings
of Northern Goshawk or Golden Eagle – both species reported from Avicaches this
year. 153 species have been reported from Avicaches so far since April, and
even more are waiting to be found by you. 23 species of warbler so far, can you
add any?

In addition to seeing some cool birds and new places, you also have a chance to
win a pair of FREE Zeiss binoculars, and the more you Avicache, the better the
chances. Check out the Avicaching site for more details:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/avicaching/. Can you surpass Lee Ann van Leer
for first place in the Avicaching standings?

You never know what you’ll find unless you try, and I hope to see you out
there. Please let me know if you have any questions – I’m happy to help.

Best,
Ian

--
Ian Davies