Alexa and I stopped by Lindsay-Parsons today midday to investigate the
wetlands. We were curious to see if the drained beaver pond held
shorebirds, and if water levels had dropped in the larger lake (Coleman
Lake).

We were successful on both counts -- a group of Killdeer & Least Sandpipers
were on the drained beaver pond, while Coleman Lake was drastically lower,
nearly completely drained itself. The receding water has uncovered a
jungle-gym of stumps and snags and left large expanses of mud around the
edges. Solitary Sandpipers were numerous & active, and we scoped a single
snipe foraged. Perhaps the most interesting bird phenomenon was the
collection of fish & frog eaters that were actively working the shallow
waters -- Green Herons & Great Blue Herons dotted the exposed lake, and
I've never seen so many kingfishers in such a small area. Fun spot!

The cause of the mud is that multiple beaver dams by the railroad tracks
have failed; without these dams, the (unnamed?) pond & Coleman Lake are no
longer impounded.

We didn't walk into the woods, but did run into a few migrants near the
parking area as well.

Best,

Ben

--